I paint with oil. But as I've been experimenting with mixed media on a small scale, primarily with watercolors, I've been introduced to acrylic gel mediums. Also, I have a bunch of pigment from Venice that I'm always looking for a project for. When I was going through my Zion National Park photos, I tried to come up with a way to capture the rock faces and minimal vegetation, and came up with this.
First, I used molding paste and a silicone tool thing that looks like it should be in a kitchen to create the lines in the rock face of the source photo. I used panel for this because I wanted something that could hold a more structural piece. Then, I mixed a drop of water with my raw Venetian pigments and went to town mixing them in with acrylic gel medium to get a paint/glaze on the surface. I had no idea how fun that would be.
I also do not trust those pigments. So I Krylon'd the whole thing with workable fixative as an extra insurance policy. I opted out of tinsel for the trees here and instead used a very light green mulberry paper to add the bushes. Finally, I used pen and ink to add in the trees. This was a very fun process! I'm looking forward to working like this more often.